Community

Hidden Home Air Dangers Wreaking Havoc on Your Body

May 18, 2016

#1 Commercial Household Cleaners

Chemical cleaning products may contain numerous toxins that have been proven to cause cancer and other serious health problems. Cleaners containing ammonia may give off fumes causing respiratory irritation. Ingredients in household bleach are highly caustic. While some of the ingredients found in common household cleaners may cause immediate respiratory or allergy symptoms, others may cause long term damage to your nervous or reproductive symptoms.

Read product labels and look for natural alternatives. Vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice can be just as effective as commercial cleaning products. Take the time to read product labels and identify key ingredients that are classified as toxic contaminants linked to serious health risks.

#2 Aerosol Spray Cans

Whether you purchase aerosol cans of your favorite hairspray, deodorant, or cans of spray paint, the chemicals found in these cans have been linked to serious lung problems and may trigger allergy and asthma symptoms. Bottom line; skip the can. Opt for a product available in a pump dispenser or bottle.

#3 Air Fresheners

Just because your air freshener is not packaged in an aerosol can does not mean that it is safe. Commercially available air fresheners often contain numerous VOCs and phthalates, which are commonly labeled on packaging as fragrances, that have been linked to cancer and reproductive problems. Keep your air fresh by using baking soda to neutralize odors and clean with lemon juice to give your home a pleasant, natural citrus scent.

#4 Antibacterial Hand Soap and Dishwashing Liquid

You opt for the antibacterial product because you believe that it is providing you with a layer of protection from harmful bacteria. The truth is that these products contain triclosan, a probable carcinogen that ultimately promotes the growth of drug-resistant bacteria and is toxic to algae. Limit use of products labeled antibacterial.

#5 Mold

Mold and mildew are biological airborne pollutants responsible for triggering allergy or asthma symptoms. While you may be unable to detect the presence of mold in a leaky attic, its presence in your home can wreak havoc on your respiratory system. This is especially true if you already suffer from allergies or asthma. Check your home routinely for signs if water damage and look for signs of mold growth around your air conditioner and household humidifier. If you detect a musty odor have your home air tested for mold as soon as possible.